Located in a picturesque valley between the village of Stradbally and the town of Athy, this beautifully restored Georgian residence has wonderful literary and theatrical associations. Previous residents include renowned personalities such as C. Day-Lewis (Poet Laureate and father of actor Daniel Day-Lewis), actor Sebastian Shaw and actor Sir John Hurt.
Private House and Yurt Rental
14 acres of Garden Rooms surrounding an 18th Century Georgian Manor House
The gardens at Ballintubbert are a series of Garden Rooms arranged symmetrically around the centrepiece of the simple Georgian manor house. The gardens have been developed since the 1850s and are continuing to develop following the Arts and Crafts tradition, using a series of living garden rooms to create an ever-changing journey through the grounds. Recently described as “An enchanting work of art- intimate and extraordinarily peaceful.” Highlights include:
- Georgian Manor | Restored 18th Century Georgian Manor | Home of Day-Lewis
- Literary and Theatrical Links | Home to actor Sebastian Shaw and Sir John Hurt, birthplace of Poet Laureate Cecil Day-Lewis.
- Garden Rooms | A series of Garden Rooms including The Rose Garden, Lutyens Garden, The Little Orchard and Nuttery.
- The Lutyens Garden | Inspired by the Sir Edwin Lutyen designed garden at Heywood Gardens, Ballinakill, Co. Laois
- Herb Garden | recreation of the herb garden by former house resident, Darth Vader actor, Sebastian Shaw .
The gardens are closed at present due to Covid restrictions.
When opened very occasionally the gardens may be closed for a private event – please check our Facebook page for details before travelling.