Celebrating 1100 years of viking monastic history. This festival has many events to offer.
The History of Timahoe
The Parish of Fossey has obtained its name from the district in which the old church was situated. It appears that the name fossy was anglicised from fassach meaning wilderness. Today, the surrounding area is adequately populated with a landscape prevalently gradient, which is abundant in limestone and coal, which has been partially worked. The ruined church at fossy was probably built or remodeled at the beginning of the seventeenth century. Unfortunately, no historic record survives in respect to the founder or patron saint. Regarding the fabrication of the building, the church measures approximately 38 feet in length by 18 feet in breadth. A large pointed window reduced to an opening is positioned at he eastern gable while an entrance doorway can be noted at the western gable. In the 9th year of Queen Elizabeth’s reign, this district was known as the Prior’s land, from an admirable family living in that country.
Mochua was the patron of the parish and a festival occurs in honour of Mochua Maclonain on 24 December as mentioned in “Martyrology of Tallaght”. Mochua is also registered on the same date in the “Martyrology of Donegal”. Mochua resided in Timahoe for many years but journeyed northward to visit St. Patrick and to find a more peaceful location. His visit to St. Patrick seems contradictory with various other accounts of his life. St. Patrick did not live beyond the close of the fifth century. St. Mochua, it is believed lived in the 6th or 7th century, as Mochua died during the reign of Domhnall, monarch over Ireland.