What’s On Guide
From ancient festivals in the Slieve Bloom Mountains to modern day merry-making, Laois has enjoyed a party more than most for thousands of years. With over 60 events happening each month , you are most definitely invited to celebrate with us.
And from major international music weekends to local fiestas covering everything from scarecrows and storytelling, to drama and literature, you’re sure to find your tribe. For the outdoor enthusiast there’s weekly guided walks, runs and cycles. Come join us as we celebrate the length and breadth of the county – morning, noon, and night…
Halloween Ghost Stories With Nuala Hayes
29th October @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm€7
Have a freaky Friday evening at SOLAS listening to Seanchaí Nuala Hayes tell spooky Halloween ghost stories. Finish the evening toasting marshmallows (included) around the fire pit.
A Little About Nuala Hayes
- Nuala Hayes has a broad repertoire of folk tales, legends & myths connected with Laois
- She has written her own book, Laois Folk Tales, bases on the ghosts and banshees that roam our country
- Nuala has adapted suitable stories from literature, including stories by Mary Lavin
- She frequently works with musicians, including Harpist, Anne Marie O’Farrell and Clarinet player, Paul Roe
- Nuala has devised programmes of stories and music for all ages, such as “The Wilder Wisdom of Auld Ones’, based on the stories of the Cailleach
- She has produced a CD of Irish traditional stories; The Brewery of Eggshells and other Stories, with Kate Corkery
- She also collaborates with visual artist, Rita Duffy on an interactive storytelling event called Shirt Tales
- Nuala tells stories in both the English and Irish language