Emo Court

Emo Court
Emo Court
2 images
Make an Enquiry
Full Description

Gandon designed Emo Court in 1790 for John Dawson, the First Earl of Portarlington. When the earl died in 1798, the house was incomplete. No more work was done until the 1830s, when the second earl completed the garden front and commenced work on the interior. Starting in 1860, the third earl oversaw building of the copper dome on the rotunda, as well as work on the interior and construction of the a bachelor wing.

When the last of the Portarlingtons left Emo Court in 1920, the house fell into decline. The Jesuits purchased the house in 1930 and used it as a seminary. In 1969, the order sold Emo court to Major Cholmley Dering Cholmley- Harrison who began the laborious process of restoring Emo Court and its grounds. Today Emo Court and its gardens are owned and managed by the Office of Public Works.